How To Make The Perfect Ballet Bun
In the world of ballet, every detail matters, and the ballet bun is no exception. The bun is a crucial part of a dancer's appearance, ensuring that the hair is neatly tucked away and doesn't interfere with the grace and precision of their movements. Whether you're a ballet dancer or simply looking for an elegant updo, creating the perfect ballet bun is an art in itself. In this blog, we'll guide you through the steps to achieve the flawless ballet bun that can withstand even the most demanding dance routines.
Before you begin, gather the necessary materials:
1. Hairbrush or comb
2. Hair elastics (preferably in a shade that matches your hair)
3. Bobby pins (also in a shade matching your hair)
4. Hairspray or hair gel (optional)
5. Hairnet (optional)
6. Bun maker or foam donut (optional)
Step 1: Start with Clean, Dry Hair
Begin with clean and dry hair. It's best to wash your hair a day or two before creating the bun, as freshly washed hair can be too slippery. If your hair is too clean, you can use a small amount of hairspray or hair gel to give it some texture and grip.
Step 2: Brush and Detangle
Gently brush through your hair to remove any knots or tangles. Make sure your hair is smooth and free from any bumps.
Gifs courtesy of our friend @DanceMomDana on social media!
Step 3: Gather Your Hair
Bend forward slightly to make it easier to gather all your hair at the crown of your head. Use your hands to smooth out any bumps or unevenness.
Step 4: Secure with an Elastic
Once you've gathered your hair at the crown, use a hair elastic to create a ponytail. Pull the elastic tight to ensure the ponytail is secure and sits at the desired height on your head.
Step 5: Create the Bun
Now, there are several options when it comes to creating the bun.
- Twist the ponytail tightly.
- Coil it around the base of the ponytail to form a bun.
- Secure the bun with bobby pins, inserting them through the bun and into the base of the ponytail.
Sock Bun (using a bun maker or foam donut):
- Slide the bun maker or foam donut over the ponytail.
- Spread your hair evenly over the donut.
- Roll the hair down over the donut, tucking the ends underneath.
- Secure the bun with bobby pins.
Step 6: Finishing Touches
Once your bun is secure, use bobby pins to reinforce any loose sections. Optionally, add a hairnet over your bun for added security and bobby pin the net into your hair. Ensure that the bun is symmetrical and neat.